Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Looking Ahead

A freelance writer by trade, I write about nature, plants, insects and so on. I also cover fishing and other outdoor pursuits. As such, I write a number of regular columns for The Maine Sportsman Magazine.

Since assembling, preparing and editing manuscripts for a magazine of this size takes considerable time, MS writers must prepare our columns well ahead of time. This means that now, in February, I’m writing about fishing in April.

Discussing seasonal activities two months ahead requires acquiring a certain mindset. We must immerse ourselves in the topic, drawing upon memory and also, notes from one full year previous.

So now, with nighttime temperatures hovering around 0 Fahrenheit and daytime temperatures slightly below freezing, my thoughts and emotions are set smack-dab in April. That, my friends, is one way to beat cabin fever.

In fact, I just this morning wrote about trout fishing on the Piscataquis River. This rocky, riffly water in the southern reaches of the Moosehead Region flows through woods and fields, farm country and small towns, a true, Currier & Ives setting.

Additionally, I must soon go through my photo collection and select an image to illustrate my column. This, too, helps to bring the wonder of springtime home, even while it is yet winter.

So here I sit in my home office, scrutinizing photos of rivers, trout and scenic countryside. And in doing this, I am able to escape, if only for a short while, the difficulties of winter and transport my soul to a time and place that kindles joy in my heart.

Does cabin fever lurk at your door? If so, then perhaps you can find respite through some quite time, recalling pleasant days of a different season. And before we know it, the real thing will have arrived. It won’t be long now.

By the way, thanks to the readers who commented on my clamming post. It's good to hear from you. Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment