Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Snow Shovel Foraging Take Two

Perhaps a month ago, I wrote a blog about “snow shovel foraging.” I had planned to go out and do just that, too…shovel my way down to bare ground and harvest some ground ivy for a vitamin-filled, bitter tea.

But immediately after posting my blog, it snowed. And snowed. And snowed some more. In the end, I had no idea where anything was. It was so deep that it completely covered a two-wheeled, contractor’s wheelbarrow. So I decided to wait for the snow to recede, at least enough for me to get my bearings and make a rough determination as to the lay of the land.

So today, snow had sunk to the point that I discerned the outline of one of my raised-bed gardens. Knowing that ground ivy grew along the north end of the bed, I grabbed a snow shovel and had at it.

But the snow was granular, all frozen together in great, big clumps, too much for my plastic snow shovel to handle. So I got a long-handled spade and finally managed to dig down to the ground. And there, as suspected, was my ground ivy, as fresh and sprightly as ever.

So snow shovel foraging works…it’s just not the easiest thing in the world. At least its good to know that if necessity dictates, at least a few wild plants are available to us year-round.

No comments:

Post a Comment