Friday, May 20, 2011

Constant Rain Dampens Tom's Enthuiasm

I truly do not like tromping about outside in the rain. Oh, the occasional showery day presents no problems and sometimes, I feel something like comfort from a warm mist or all-enveloping fog. But day after day of rain wears thin.

Foraging for wild plants, at least for me, has gone on hold. On the other hand, I rely upon certain seasonal goodies and this unplanned hiatus from foraging has put a certain crimp in my lifestyle.

For instance, today, instead of any of the numerous fresh, wild greens I could and would have had for lunch, I was relegated to dine on home-canned green beans from last season. These are fine in winter, but in late spring, I don’t want canned. I want fresh.

So I’m just as antsy as can be, practically jumping up and down with anxiety and anticipation, wanting to get out and do what I do this time of year.

Fortunately, I’ve plenty of inside work to keep my mind occupied. Writing assignments galore tie me to the keyboard. But still, that little voice gnaws at my innermost being. “What’s up now? It’s time to harvest dock. Perhaps jewelweed is just right for picking,” A hundred similar questions plague my poor brain.

One thought gives me comfort. Soon, seaside foraging will come into play and at least walking along a beach does not include getting drenched from water clinging to bushes and trees. Rain or shine, seaside foraging can and will happen.

But oh, do I long for a dry, sunny day. It’s not up to me, though. All any of us can do is wait and hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment